To The Government and Parliament of Romania
For his information: to Mr. President Klaus Johannis
Today, on the 10th of March 2015 we Szeklers, gathered in several settlements across Szeklerland, following the way of law and democracy, affirm unanimously once again: we demand territorial autonomy for Szeklerland! This demand is sustained by citizens all around the globe, who are exercising their fundamental human right to assembly, as they have also understood the message of The Day of the Szekler Freedom: this day is not only for commemorating the Szekler martyr’s , but also for demanding a future for Szeklerland and respect for our basic human rights.
The administrative reorganization planned by the Government still worries us profoundly: the incorporation of Szeklerland, into a larger administrative unit goes against the will of our community. The fact that the prefects, with the assistance of the courts, wish (and succeed in most of the cases) to invalidate the petitions adopted until now by about one third of the local councils of Szeklerland, doesn’t change the situation at all: The elected representatives of more and more local communities express their support for the autonomy of Szeklerland.
If the government ignores this fact, than not only do they dishonor the will their own citizens, but in the same time violates many international obligation of the country:
- they do not respect the obligation undertaken when acceding the Council of Europe, to respect Recommendations 1201 (1993) and 1334 (2003) of the Council;
- they do not respect the provisions of the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities and the European Charter for Regional an Minority Languages;
- they do not respect the European Charter for Local Self-Government;
- they do not respect the Treaty on Understanding, Cooperation and Good Neighborly Relations between Romania and Hungary;
- they do not respect the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, according to which every nation has the right to self-determination.
Besides these documents, they ignore:
- The Recommendations of the European Union, regarding the regionalization and the administration reform;
- A numerous other Recommendations of the Council of Europe.
A much graver issue is that the mayor of Marosvásárhely/Tîrgu Mures, with the tacit agreement of the judicial system, unlawfully restricts our fundamental right to the freedom of assembly and speech, using made-up reasons and violating the constitutional right of the citizens’ to demonstrate against the plans of the Government.
We have affirmed several times: the autonomy of Szeklerland does not violate the territorial unity and sovereignty of Romania, it does not violate the interests of the Romanian people living in Szeklerland and it does not contradict the constitution of the country. The autonomy of Szeklerland denotes the right and the ability of the largest territorial authorities within the State, having elected bodies, being administratively placed between central government and local authorities and enjoying prerogatives either of self-organization or of a type normally associated with the central authority, to manage, on their own responsibility and in the interests of their populations, a substantial share of public affairs, in accordance with the principle of subsidiarity. All these have to be done through dialogue, through the freely expressed will of the local community, respecting the principles of democracy, and with solidarity and constructive cooperation of the citizens.
Having these in mind:
- We demand, the creation of an administrative and NUTS II region called Szeklerland, with autonomous competencies, according to the draft law elaborated by the Szekler National Council, during the administrative reorganization of the country!
- We demand, that in the process of the administrative reorganization the Government and the Parliament should respect the principles laid down in Art. 11 of Recommendation 1201 (1993) and Art. 12 and Art. 16 of Recommendation 1334 (2003) of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, and the provision of the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages.
- We protest against the abuses committed by the local authorities of Marosvásárhely/Tg-Mures, through which our basic rights regarding the freedom of assembly and speech have been violated! We demand these abuses to be investigated and the perpetrators to be punished!
- We demand the Romanian authorities to end immediately all the actions against the Szekler symbols and the harassment and threatening of the people and institutions who are using them.
- We ask the Government to begin talks about the status of Szeklerland with the legitimate representatives of the Szekler people, the Szekler National Council and the local authorities of the region.
We demand full and effective equality for all the inhabitants of Szeklerland!
Autonomy for Szeklerland, freedom for the Szekler people!
The 10th of March 2015 - Barót/Baraolt, Csíkszereda/Miercurea Ciuc,
Gyergyószentmiklós/Gheorgheni, Sepsiszentgyörgy/Sfântu Gheorghe, Firtosmartonos/ Firtănuş