To The Government and Parliament of Romania
For his information: to Mr. President Klaus Johannis
Today, on the 10th of March 2017 we Szeklers, gathered in Marosvásárhely, following the way of law and democracy, affirm unanimously once again: we demand territorial autonomy for Szeklerland! The message of The Day of the Szekler Freedom is that this day is not only for commemoration, but also for demanding the respect of our rights.
The continuously delayed administrative reorganization planned by the Government still worries us profoundly: The incorporation of Szeklerland, into a larger administrative unit goes against the will of our community, and violates the international commitments of Romania, even though the administrative reform of the country could provide a democratic framework to a set of deep reforms, aimed at securing the self-governance of Szeklerland within Romania.
It also worries us, that instead of finally engaging in a dialogue about the territorial autonomy of Szeklerland, as we have been requesting it for so many years, there is a growing number of attacks and humiliations targeted against our community, our symbols, and institutions.
It is particularly disturbing, that within its current development region, Szeklerland continues to lag behind, which confirms the fact that the existing development regions serve the purpose of cementing the peripheral role of Szeklerland.
We repeatedly affirm: the autonomy of Szeklerland does not violate the territorial unity and sovereignty of Romania, it does not violate the interests of the Romanian people living in Szeklerland, and it does not contradict the constitution of the country! The autonomy of Szeklerland denotes the right and the ability of the largest territorial authorities within the State, having elected bodies, being administratively placed between central government and local authorities and enjoying prerogatives either of self-organization or of a type normally associated with the central authority, to manage, on their own responsibility and in the interests of their populations, a substantial share of public affairs, in accordance with the principle of subsidiarity. All these have to be done through dialogue, through the freely expressed will of the local community, respecting the principles of democracy, and with solidarity and constructive cooperation of the citizens.
Having these in mind:
- We demand, the creation of an administrative and NUTS II development region called Szeklerland, vested with autonomous competencies, according to the draft law elaborated by the Szekler National Council, in the framework of the administrative reorganization of the country!
- We demand, that in the process of the administrative reorganization the Government and the Parliament respect their international obligations.
- We protest against the strangulation of our education institutions, harassment of our municipalities, the restriction of the use of our mother language, and the persecution of our symbols.
- We declare our solidarity with the pro-rule of law protests that take place all over the country
- We ask the Government to begin talks about the status of Szeklerland with the legitimate representatives of the Szekler people, the Szekler National Council and the local authorities of the region.
We demand full and effective equality for all the inhabitants of Szeklerland!
Autonomy for Szeklerland, freedom for the Szekler people!
10 March 2017